Thursday, January 20, 2011

Am I really doing this?

So I decided about 5 minutes ago to start writing a blog. I'm not sure why I think I'm qualified to write one....but during these long, cold winter months I've spent so much time reading other people's blogs--I thought I'd give it a try too. The fact is, I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by so many creative and interesting people who share so many creative and interesting things.....that I just wanted a place to put it all! And I'm alllllll over the place too! Here are just a sampling of topics where I find my daily inspiration....
Film and Photography-- I was a Film/Video major in college and worked 12 years as a set dresser/prop stylist. Some of the coolest people I know are from my experiences working in the industry.
Weddings-- Specifically florals and decor. I work for one of Baltimore's premier special events floral decorators....some truly inspired events. During this "off wedding season" I scour the wedding and party planning blogs for inspiration.
Children's Birthday Parties-- When I grow up I want to be a children's birthday party planner! Just kidding.....that would probably take all of the fun out of it! I LOVE all of the elements of kids' parties and have recently hooked up with some amazing women at The Children's Party Network who provide me with soooo much inspiration. I'm currently knee deep in planning my son's sixth birthday party in February--it gives me something creative to do during the "off wedding season". Unfortunately my nine year old is "over" parties...he prefers to have a few friends for a sleepover. However, with 6 nieces and a nephew....I'm hoping I can find a way to contribute to their events!
Etsy-- I could (I do) spend hours lost in the wonderfulness of Etsy.com!! I love searching by color or key word just to see what pops up! There are so many creative people in this world, and I love that there is a "place" where they can all display their wares together. About 90% of my gift shopping happens online at Etsy and Amazon.
Home Improvement/Decorating-- I mean this in the MOST basic sense. My husband and I are in the early stages of planning our basement remodeling. I'm obsessed with searching for color palettes, flooring options, furniture, built-in options.....and there is some amazing stuff out there!
Travel-- Most of my dreams are about traveling to far off places...mostly Europe, but there are so many places in the US that I haven't seen either. My travel experience is near pathetic...so I don't post on this topic as an expert (well, I don't post on ANY topic as an expert!). I've never been to Italy...it is the ONLY thing on my bucket list...and if I die before I get there--I'll never forgive myself (?)!! I would live in a one bedroom shack, drive a beat up car and spend all of my money traveling, if it was all about me.....but it's not! The family has "better" uses for the money...but the even bigger problem is finding the TIME to travel! Between school and sports, we don't have much free time to sneak away. We are really good about sneaking in day trips on bye-weeks, and three day weekend trips during school holidays.....so families in the same situation as us may pick up a tip or two from us. I spend so much time researching and planning trips that I'll never get to take (unless I can find someone to fund them)....it would be nice to share some of the amazing things I find with someone who actually COULD go on them. Google is a blessing and a curse.

So....we'll see where (and if) this blogging journey takes me....and if I can ever manage to get even one person to read this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment